We believe that great smiles come from a partnership with our patients, including regular teeth cleanings and check-ups (at least twice a year), early detection of problems, and providing thorough information so you can make the best decisions related to your dental care. Teeth cleaning with an electric toothbrush is superior to that of a manual toothbrush. Check with your dental professional on which teeth cleaning solution is best for you.
Dental Cleanings + Exams
Professional dental cleanings, referred to as dental prophylaxis, include:
- Removing plaque, a sticky film made of live bacteria, food debris and saliva, that naturally forms on the teeth. The bacteria creates toxins (poisons) that cause gum inflammation, the first indicator of periodontal disease.
- Removing calculus (commonly referred to as tartar), which is hardened plaque that is firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus can form above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Polishing teeth
Dental exams include a comprehensive oral health assessment:
- Reviewing dental x-rays for signs of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss
- Checking all tooth surfaces for dental caries (cavities)
- Examining the gums and bones around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease
- Looking for any indications of oral cancer
- Checking for wear of current fillings and other dental restorations
Please call (310) 479-4500 or email us today to schedule your consultation, so that you can be on your way to the smile that you deserve as soon as possible. Dr. Larry Picard and his caring staff have experience in dealing with a myriad of dental issues and can help you to improve your smile.
Diagnostic x-rays can reveal conditions that are not visible by sight alone:
- Decay between the teeth
- Problems inside a tooth or below the gum line
- Abscesses or cysts
- Bone loss
- Tumors (malignant and benign)
- Developmental abnormalities
Proper dental hygiene at home is vital to keeping your teeth healthy. Following our oral hygiene tips will help prevent the onset, progression and recurrence of dental issues.